Monday, November 16, 2009

Fall

Years ago when I imagined what college would be like I thought of raspberry frappucchinos and picnics in the park. I thought I would be spending my days under live oak trees, playing in the autumn leaves, discussing life and literature with my new friends.

I thought everybody would be friendly and that I could walk around with a smile, saying hello to everyone. On a shallow note, I thought I would finally have perfect hair, cue image of Rory Gilmore in her gorgeous wavy hairdo with side bangs.

Anyways, I always pictured myself at a school up north. Where I could see leaves change and spend winter months cozied up by a fireplace in the library. (No, cozied is not a word, but I'm trying not to care.)

Then I went to school in Florida. And I love it here. I really do. It's just not what I thought it would be like. This is my third year here so I'm used to it. I'm not lamenting over it.

I just wish things were different sometimes. Oh that sentence is so trite. And I realize that it has nothing to do with where I am, but who I am. I spend most of my time inside, looking out my huge window. But I want to go outside. The weather is amazing and I love fresh air and sunshine. And some trees here actually have shed leaves and I love crunching them as I walk along campus.



Today I sat on a bench outside while my clothes were washing. And I couldn't feel peace. I wanted to take pictures of trees and I just didn't feel comfortable just snapping pictures all over the place in the middle of all these dorm buildings. Then as I was starting to get acclimated, a maintenance worker came by and said that he's going to be installing grass under the bench. I had to get up and leave. And now I'm in my room because I felt kind of defeated and didn't feel like walking a couple blocks to another bench (Strange, but that's the only one out there). Installing grass? What has happened to nature?

I know this is where I'm supposed to be. I just have yet to sit on the grass and write poetry and listen to music. And that has more to do with me, anyways. I mean, I could do that. Maybe I'm just insecure 'cause the Rory hair hasn't come yet.

Kidding.

My alarm just went off for my laundry. Ah, the daily grind.

What I'm listening to: Breakdown by Jack Johnson.
What I'm playing: Words with Friends, a scrabble application on my iPhone.
What I should be doing: Writing an article. Ha. The usual.

1 comment:

Tracey Leffler said...

I am so happy you made a Gilmore Girls reference in this post.